Kung Pao is one of my favourite chinese dishes. In Malaysia, they are normally stuffed into the yam “basket”. The 2 common choices are either chicken or cuttlefish. So today, I decided to try the cuttlefish. I have often seen this cuttlefish sold at the market but I just noticed today that they are actually not sold at the fresh seafood area but the frozen food shops. Interesting! They are normally soaked in water.
Serves 2-3 ppl
1 cuttlefish, blanched with hot water and cut
15 dried chillies, cut into 2 inches long
1 inch of ginger, sliced
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 stalk of spring onion, cut into 2 inches long
2 tbsp cooking oil
cornflour water (1 tsp cornstarch with 2 tsp of water)
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp black vinegar
1. Heat up a wok or large pan. Saute the dried chillies at low heat till dark colour. Dish up.
2. Heat up the cooking oil. Saute the sliced ginger till fragrant.
3. Add the onions and dried chillies. Saute for 2-3 mins.
4. Add in the cuttlefish and Ingredients A. Stir-fry at high heat for 2-3 mins.
5. Add the corn flour water. Mix well and serve hot.