Since I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to cook on Sat itself by 12pm, I thought stew will be something which is great to cook on Fri night. I can put in the slow cooker and let it boil overnight.
This recipe is inspired by Jamie Oliver’s ‘Ministry of Food’.
6 fresh or dried bay leaves
1kg diced stewing beef
1litre Guinness or stout
4 sticks of celery, diced to 1-2cm
4 medium onions, peeled and diced to 1-2cm
2 carrots, peeled and diced to 1-2cm
2 heaped tablespoon plain flour
2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put all the vegetables and the bay leaves into the pan with 2 lugs of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes
2. Add your meat and flour • Pour in the booze and tinned tomatoes
3. Give it a good stir, then season with a teaspoon of sea salt (less if using table salt) and a few grinds of pepper
4. Bring to the boil and transfer it to the slow cooker. Cook for 2.5-3hrs.
5. Remember to remove the bay leaves before serving, and taste it to see if it needs a bit more salt and pepper