I am not a fan of bread but since it’s not easy to find good bread to motivate me to eat, I thought it’ll be cool to make my own bread. As usual, I like to find recipes which are simple and quick. I bumped into this online recipe which allow me to bake a bread in less than an hour without a bread machine. Sounds good! So here it is. I was impressed and it turned out very well – it was soft, thick and fresh 🙂 Love it!
5 1/4 cups white bread flour (plain)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1.5 Tbsp. (rounded) Saf-instant yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups hot water
1. Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt and yeast) just for 2-3 seconds.
2. Add oil and water. Mix for 1 minute and then check the consistency of the dough. The dough should be very sticky. If it is too dry, add more water (Do not over add water, not more than 1/4cup).
3. Mix for 5 minutes. (Do not add any more flour after the dough has finished mixing.) Remove dough.
4. Spray kneading surface with cooking spray and turn dough out onto surface. Knead dough briefly until it has a smooth even consistency (this will only take several turns of the dough to accomplish).
5. Divide dough into 2 pieces (or more if you wish to have smaller loaves) and shape loaves into desired shapes and place on greased baking sheets. Cover with a large dish towel and let rise for 25 minutes.
6. While loaves are rising, preheat oven to 350F/180C. When loaves are ready to go into the oven, use a sharp knife (you can lightly spray your knife with cooking spray to prevent dragging) to make several slashes in the top. Make each cut about 1/4-inch deep at a 30 degree angle. Bake loaves for 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
If you would like to watch the video of how the bread is made, click here.