We were invited for a Malaysian dinner – laksa & satay – so I thought it’ll be good if I brought dessert. My initial plan was to bake a pandan chiffon cake, which will go so well with the Msian food. But as I was taking out my ingredients from the cupboard, I saw my green tea powder sitting there. I thought why not try baking the green tea one since I haven’t tried before 😛
I told my husband I baked a green tea chiffon cake and not sure whether it’ll be ok or not. He said I should have baked my usual pandan, as we were bringing it to someone’s place and at least we are sure that the pandan will be nice. I was really glad that the texture turned out moist and spongy and it tasted nice too. It went well with the Msian food cos we were so full and the green tea cake with coffee was just nice 🙂
This recipe is adapted from ‘My Baking & Cooking Passion‘ website.
4 egg yolks
30 grams castor sugar
1 tablespoon honey
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of warm corn oil
80 ml warm water + 2-3 teaspoons green tea powder
2 – 3 teaspoons rum
100 grams cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartart
30 grams castor sugar
1. Cream ingredients (A) with hand whisk till sugar dissolved.
2. Add in ingredients (B) in the respective order and mix well before adding the next item.
3. Sieve in ingredients (C) and mix till no lumps.
4. Beat egg whites with electric beater till frothy, sprinkle in the cream of tartar. Beat till white in colour and add in sugar by thirds. Egg white should be beaten till stiff peaks are formed.
5. Put half portion of egg white into yolk mixture and mix it with a hand whisk in 6 strokes.
6. Pour yolk mixture into the rest of the egg white and mix well with hand whisk.
7. Put batter into a chiffon cake pan, bang the pan on a hard surface several times to release the bubbles and bake at 170C – 180C for 35 -45 minutes or till cooked.
8. When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and give it another bang on a hard surface to loosen the cake texture then invert cooked cake on a wire rack to cool for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove cake from cake pan and leave aside to cool completely.