This is another recipe which I picture in my head before heading to the kitchen. It tasted a bit like babi chin but also a little bit of bak kut teh influence. Can’t decide on the name of this dish so I came up with “Bak Kut Chin”. It has quite an interesting taste. Try and you might like it.
The mistake I made was to use all lean meat. Maybe a mixture of pork belly and lean meat would be better or perhaps pork ribs.
300g lean meat (pork belly/pork ribs will do too)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp of ground cumin
2 star anise
1 tsp of white peppercorns
2 tsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of dark soya sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 sachet of A1 bak kut teh spices
1 packet of golden mushroom
8-10 beancurd sheets (I bought the soften type)
sugar & pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Mix pork with the seasoning and put aside.
2. Heat up the pan with oil and stir fry the garlic for 1 min.
3. Add the ground cumin, white peppercorn and star anise. Stir fry for 1-2mins.
4. Add in the pork and stir fry for 2mins.
5. Add in dark soya sauce, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, sugar and pepper to taste.
6. Add in the bak kut teh sachet and water. Bring to boil.
7. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20mins. Stir occasionally.
8. 5 mins before serving, add in the golden mushroom and beancurd sheets. Simmer.
9. Dish up and serve hot.