It’s Wednesday and time to cook for my cell group again. I was searching for a pasta recipe which is a tomato based but not bolognaise. I couldn’t really explain what I wanted to cook. I read through some recipes and finally came up with something which I think has the taste I wanted.
1 large purple eggplant (long without seed), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
400g cherry tomatoes, cut into half
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
100-200g of fresh mushrooms, sliced
a handful of fresh basil, chopped
2-3 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
1-2 teaspoons of chili flakes
sea salt and coarsely grounded black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of sugar
2-3 lugs of olive oil
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Boil a large pot of water. Add a little salt and olive oil. Once the water is boiling, cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat until hot. Add the garlic and stir till light brown.
3. Add the eggplant and stir fry for 5mins on medium heat.
4. Add the mushrooms, chili flakes and basil. Stir fry for 3-5mins.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and water. Add the sugar, sea salt and pepper.
6. Let it boil then lower the heat and simmer for 5mins.
7. Serve hot with the cooked fusili and some grated Parmesan cheese.
* If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add some tomato paste.