I’ve always wanted to make my own pizza. But the thought of so much work for just my husband and me made us decide it’s better to have a group of friends over. So we made it a cell group activity: Create your own pizza! This is my 1st attempt at making pizza dough and thank God it turned out well since so many people were waiting to eat. Again, Jamie Oliver didn’t let me down. The pizza base was really nice. We had lots of fun making our own pizzas as I prepared loads of topping – tomato, 3 types of mushrooms, capsicum, pepperoni, bacon, stir fried shrimp with herbs, mashed potatoes, shredded chicken, rocket and 4 kinds of fresh cheese which we grated only when it was time to put it on. The pizza also tasted so much nicer when garnished with rocket leaves. We made 9 pizzas. Below is the mashed potatoes introduced by one of my friends. Was definitely yummy! Here’s the recipe with slight improvisation.
Ingredients (makes 6 medium pizzas)
1kg strong white bread flour
1 tbsp fine sea salt
14g instant yeast
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
650ml lukewarm water
1. Sieve the flour and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle.
2. In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
3. Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough. 4. Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Preheat your over to 210C.
6. Remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands– this is called knocking back the dough. Divide the dough into 6 balls. 7. Roll the pizzas out. Bake the pizza base for 3-5mins.
8. Remove the pizza from the oven. Spread the half-baked pizza base with tomato sauce. You can buy the canned pasta sauce from the supermarket – classic tomato sauce or white sauce.
If you plan to keep the dough for later use, follow the step 1-7. Then, remove the pizza base from oven. Let it cool for 20mins, wrap with aluminium foil individually and keep in the freezer.
Please click here for original recipe.