There aren’t many Malaysian desserts I like but this is one of my favourites. It’s really easy and I like to make this when I have guests over. I prefer to focus more time on cooking the main courses rather than dessert 😛
250g small sago
1 block of palm sugar (gula melaka)
2 screwpine leaves, tied (pandan)
1 litre water
2tbsp of water (to melt the palm sugar)
200ml coconut milk
1. Boil the water in a pot.
2. Add the sago and boil over medium heat for 15-18mins.
3. Turn off the fire and cover the pot with lid. Leave it for 5mins.
4. Use a small-holed sieve to wash the sago under running water till there’s no more starch.
5. Pour the sago into a big mould or small aluminium cups and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Put the palm sugar, 2 tbsp water and screwpine leaves in a small sauce.
7. Melt the palm sugar over low heat till it is dissolved.
8. Serve the cold sago with coconut milk and palm sugar liquid.