I woke up today and I felt like baking something Christmassy. Something which gives the “Christmas smell”… cinnamon? The thought of it, motivated me to head to the supermarket and get the ingredients. But as I was baking, I realised why I hardly bake. It took me so long to finish all the dough and it was just the same process over and over again. I think I still prefer to cook 🙂
Makes about 9 dozen
390g all-purpose flour
90g granulated sugar
120g unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup honey
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1. Sift the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and ground spices together.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, golden syrup and honey. Continue beating until well mixed.
4. Add the sifted flour mixture gradually into the batter.
5. Divide the dough into half and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. To bake, preheat the oven to 180C. Line baking tray with baking sheet.
7. Roll out the chilled dough about 1/4 inch thickness, on a lightly floured surface.
8. Cut out your desired shapes and transfer to the baking sheet. Decorate with candy beads (optional).
9. Bake for 8-10 mins.
10. Removed from the oven and arranged the cookies on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar immediately.
11. Cool the cookies before storing in an airtight container.