As my basil is growing faster than I can use, I decided to tap on the internet to find the best way to use it faster. And the websites inspired me to make Basil Pesto Pasta Salad. It’s a wonderful meal if you want something light 🙂
1 cup fresh basil, packed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/6 cup pine nuts (optional)
2 garlic cloves
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the basil and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse a few times.
2. Add the garlic and pulse a few times.
3. Add half of the olive oil and pulse a few times. Then, add the balance of the olive oil. Pulse a few times.
4. Add in the parmesan cheese, salt and ground pepper. Pulse a few times.
Pesto Pasta Salad
2 cups spiral pasta
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tsp of sun-dried tomatoes pesto (optional)
1 cup cherry tomatoes
3-4 fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 lemon, juiced
1-2 lugs of olive oil
basil pesto (according to the recipe above)
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a bit of olive oil and 1/2 tsp of salt.
2. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
3. Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water to cool down.
4. Put the pasta in a large bowl.
5. Toss the pasta with the basil pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto, pine nuts, oilve oil and cherry tomatoes.
6. Add the lemon juice and garnish the pasta with the chopped basil.
7. Chill for 10mins then serve.