Makes 5 dozen
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup buttermilk ( or 1cup milk+1 tbsp distilled white vinegar and leave for 10mins)
2 tbsp matcha tea powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup adzuki bean paste
a pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line cupcake pans with paper liner.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs and eggs yolks, one at a time. Mix well each time, at medium speed.
4. In another mixing bowl, sift the matcha tea powder, salt, bicarbonate of soda and flour. Mix well with a spoon.
5. Add the sifted ingredients to the batter. Beat at medium speed till even.
6. Add buttermilk, vanilla and vinegar. Beat for another min at high speed.
7. Scoop 1 tsp of the batter into paper liners. Put in a small piece of adzuki bean paste.
8. Add more batter to cover the bean paste, up to 2/3 full.
Adzuki Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
80g unsalted butter, sit for an hour at room temperature
160g Philadelphia Cream Cheese, sit for an hour at room temperature
1/2 cup icing sugar
250g adzuki bean paste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer on high speed till light and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar and mix well at medium speed.
3. Add the vanilla extract and adzuki bean paste. Mix well.
4. Pipe the icing on top of the cooled cupcakes.