On the way home from work, I was pondering what to cook for dinner. My husband was not coming home for dinner so I wanted to cook something simple and yummy. I felt like eating fish head meehoon, a popular dish in Malaysia. But I didn’t fancy the trouble of frying the fish. I remember seeing a photo of crab meehoon before so I decided to cook that! I headed to the market and bought a flower crab. I took less than 30mins to finish cooking this dish and I was so satisfied with the taste 🙂
1 small flower crab (about 300g)
100g mee hoon (vermicelli)
250ml chicken broth
150ml evaporated milk
1 tomato, cut in 8
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 inches of ginger, finely sliced
30-50g pickled mustard cabbage, cut into strips
1 stalk of spring onion, cut into 2 inches length
1 cup of water
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
dash of sesame oil
a knob of butter
1. Blanch the mee hoon with hot water, drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Add sesame oil.
3. Stir fry the garlic and ginger for 1-2mins.
4. Add the chicken broth and water. Let it boil.
5. Add the evaporated milk. Put in the flower crab, tomato and mustard cabbage.
6. Add the pepper and shaoxing wine. Cook for a few minutes till crab is red and cooked.
7. Pour the soup over the mee hoon and serve immediately.