I love to eat steam fish especially after I move to Hong Kong as the fish here is very fresh. If you go to the market, there are fish that are still alive and they are killed only when you buy them. One of my favourite ways of cooking fish is with ginger sauce. Yums!
400-500g fresh fish (I bought “wu tao”), cleaned and scaled
1 stalks of spring onion
1 tbsp fried chopped garlic
spring onion and parsley for ganishing
2 tbsp oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
dash of sesame oil
1 tbsp corn flour water (for thickening)
1.Using a food processor, process the fresh ginger and water till very fine texture.
2. Pour into a wok then add in the rest of the ingredients for the ginger sauce. Cook till boiling point, lower heat then add in cornflour water.
3. Dish up and set aside.
Steaming the fish
1. Before steaming, insert 2 stalks of spring onion into the fish.
2. Steam fish on high heat till cooked (10 to 12 mins).
3. Remove fish and pour away water.
4. Pour ginger sauce and sprinkle fried garlic over fish.
5. Garnish with spring onion and parsley. Serve immediately.